Acupuncture is a system of medicine based on restoring balance. The primary goal of treatment is to restore a normal level of functioning by balancing the system. When asked by my patients how acupuncture can help them, my standard response is that acupuncture can assist in the treatment of any condition or it can be used to support existing health and the prevention of disease.
In the spirit of the Summit County 9 Health Fair here are 9 reasons why you would see an acupuncturist…
- Acupuncture is safe and relatively painless. There are very few side effects associated with acupuncture and none of the risks compared to prescription drug side-effects or the risks associated with surgery. This makes it an excellent “first step” in dealing with any health issue. If it turns out to be a more serious problem than originally suspected, it will become clear within the first few sessions and other steps can be taken.
- It is cost effective. If you really look at the cost of an acupuncture series of 10 sessions which is enough to create some substantial results in a health or pain management issue, it can be far less than the cost of a physician’s office visit and the subsequent testing that may be required.
- It is fast. Usually, by the time you get into your doctor, schedule further testing or see a specialist, you can be well on your way to experiencing relief.
- Acupuncture is also a slow and thoughtful medicine. Treatments last long enough to allow for an understanding of your health concerns and to develop an appropriate treatment plan for you.
- It is personalized. Treatments are tailored for you and can include point selections, herbal therapies, dietary and supplement recommendations or the need for other therapies.
- It is calming. Acupuncture is an effective treatment for stress and emotional issues. Because the process stimulates positive chemicals in the brain, it is relaxing and often leaves the patient with a more positive sense of well-being.
- It is versatile and comprehensive. The World Health Organization, whose authority concerning health-related matters internationally cannot be challenged, has compiled a list of symptoms, syndromes, disease processes, pathologies, trauma and conditions that have definitely been proven as effectively treated with acupuncture. Some of the initial 40 common conditions include headaches, acute and chronic pain anywhere in the body, common cold, flu, menstrual disorders, digestion, insomnia, immunity, fatigue, arthritis and there are 68 more soon to be approved!
- It is preventative. You don’t have to be ill to receive acupuncture. You can use it to stay well. A healthy immune system needs maintenance just like a car needs oil changes.
- It is growing in popularity. Around two billion people worldwide use acupuncture.
So in short, acupuncture is health care that is cost effective, safe, effective, and drug free!
The 9 Health Fair will be in Frisco at Summit High School on April 18 from 7-noon and I will be there to answer your questions regarding how acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can assist you in acquiring and maintaining optimal health. I look forward to meeting you!
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Anita Alexandra, L.Ac., CH is an acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist with 17+ years of experience. She practices at Chiropractic Health and Acupuncture, 619 Main Street, Frisco. (970)668-3299.