My period was never normal; I didn’t know it was supposed to be predictable. Sometimes I would go months with no cycle, and other times it would quickly begin again. Most adults in my life said it was ‘normal’ for women to have irregular cycles. I finally brought it up with my OBGYN and she suggested I take oral birth control – which of course I did.
I was never keen on taking pharmaceuticals, but since a doctor of the female body suggested it, I trusted it would be safe and effective. It sort-of helped and sometimes I had a ‘normal’ cycle. A year later, I discovered the particular birth control I was taking caused death by pulmonary embolisms for many young women. This absolutely horrified me! I immediately stopped taking it, which caused a massive amount of cramping as well as body aches during my next several cycles. I decided I would rather have an unpredictable period than a sort-of predictable one dependent on a potentially deadly medication.
I went through the rest of undergraduate school always worried about when my next cycle would come. Unlike my friends, I had no warning signs like breast tenderness or cramps. I felt fortunate for not having any pain, but would have liked a little clue before my cycle randomly started. After my undergraduate work in Molecular Cellular Developmental Biology (I know it’s a mouthful!) I decided I wanted to go to medical or veterinary school. While working in an animal hospital the summer after graduation, I quickly realized western medicine wasn’t my calling. There are too many pharmaceuticals causing worse side-effects than the patients’ original complaints. On top of that, most medications are so new we don’t even know what the long-term side effects are yet!
While searching for a new career I met an acupuncturist and fell in love with the medicine. I promptly enrolled at The Colorado School of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Denver the very next trimester. In school, I learned ‘normal’ every day stomachaches and body pains were actually not normal; in fact, we can live a pain-free, constipation/diarrhea-free and, imagine this, an irregular-period-free life!
This was so exciting, I immediately began diagnosing myself with traditional Chinese medicine patterns. Of course I also scheduled for myself regular acupuncture treatments with my classmates and professors. I remember my professor telling me, after several acupuncture sessions with her, “I thought you would be an easy case. You’re young and healthy, your cycle should regulate quickly, but no. Your case is not easy but we will figure it out.”
After approximately six treatments over a period of three months, and taking Chinese herbs regularly, my cycle was finally normal. Even with a complicated chronic case, acupuncture and herbal medicine (safely and side-effect free) fixed my life-long health issue!
I absolutely love acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. This medicine has fulfilled my personal life in so many ways. It has empowered me to be in control of my health and enabled me to help my loved ones – even my dog! My goal is to spread the medicine to everyone, and enable them to feel empowered too. I am so excited to have joined Chiropractic Health and Acupuncture on Main Street in Frisco; I look forward to helping Summit County heal safely and naturally.
What to expect from your first acupuncture session with me …
- I have two acupuncture rooms, your session is a one-on-one private session.
- I like to chat for about 10-15min about your health.
- Acupuncture needles are thinner than a hair. Many people do not feel when they are inserted, but sometimes it feels like a mosquito bite.
- You will lay on a comfy chaise and relax during treatment for 20 – 30min.
- Occasionally a heat lamp is used to warm the patient or extremities.
- Sometimes a session is both a front and back side of the body treatment.
- Most of the time I use an additional Traditional Chinese Medicine modality at the end of your treatment.
- Afterwards expect to feel relaxed and calm.
- Treatments last about 50min, give or take.
- Acupuncture can take up to 12 hours until it is completely absorbed by your body.
- Acupuncture treatments build on each other. In cases of chronic issues, treatments may need to be frequent at first to break thru years of illness. For acute conditions most patients feel a difference after the first treatment.
- Feel free to ask me anything, I am here to help you!
I have a bachelor’s degree in Molecular Cellular Developmental Biology and a Master’s of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. I offer a safe option for your healthcare that is free of side effects. Non-invasive options should be everyone’s first route of care. I enjoy challenging cases. Give me a chance to help you. I always offer complimentary consultations, call me and see what acupuncture can do for you!